I can’t believe people are still asking this.
- romanticization of a maniplulative abuser
- lack of and/or disposal of the importance of consent
- taking advantage of someone from a lower socioeconomic class
- perpetuating the risky behavior of novices hopping into D/s with no idea what it is, which ends up subjecting them to
- creepy abusive assholes who prey on naive subs who thing 50 shades represents BDSM (and who are prime victims because they wouldn’t know that they are being taken advantage of since force and possessiveness seem ‘romantic to them’
- People running out to get zip ties or rope and shit to tie themselves up with without actually reading up on bondage. Blood clots and injuries ensue, yay
- People putting themselves into emotionally intense scenes with no preparation and ending up frightened, confused and uncomfortable.
tl;dr, if you think 50 shades is a good representative of BDSM you are too unprepared and naive to get into BDSM.
Get ready for a somewhat angry rant about the traditional book and new media, because Schizzar is taking a class that has made him very upset. So to start with, this class is called “What is a book?” So far, we have read pieces on how people learn to read, the science behind it, and how society has moved from oral culture, to written culture, to print culture, and now moving into the digital culture. My professor has taken the stance that none of these societies are inherently good or bad and they all have their pluses and minuses and claims to be completely unbiased.
I have learned that this is most certainly not the case (surprise). While some of the class has its fascinating merits, some parts do not, particularly this professor’s idea of ‘real reading’. He has argued through several articles and lecture that the act of real reading is holding a book, feeling the book, and connecting the words with touch. He then argues that reading the same book online in pdf format is a lesser type of reading due to this lack of touch, and thus you are unable to truly engage on a deeper level with the book.
This is where I call bullshit, and will put the lengthier part of this rant, under a read more.
Going to Tokyo game show :D